Delaware’s beaches are the perfect place for seniors to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature. Whether you’re looking for a peaceful stroll along the shoreline or a more active experience, the beaches of Delaware offer something for everyone.
Here are some of the best Delaware beaches for older adults:
- Rehoboth Beach
- Bethany Beach
- Cape Henlopen State Park
- Fenwick Island State Park
Not only can a beach visit provide physical activity and relaxation, but it can also provide mental stimulation. Find peace from the sound of the waves crashing against the shoreline and inspiration from the sights of the ocean. Plus, boost your mood and energy with fresh ocean air and sunshine!
Why Delaware’s Beaches Are Special
Delaware boasts some of the most exquisite beaches in the nation. Whether you seek a tranquil day basking in the sun or an exhilarating adventure, these beaches can cater perfectly to your expectations:
Renowned for its quaint boardwalk and charming town, Rehoboth Beach boasts a picturesque coastal destination that exudes a relaxed and inviting atmosphere, making it an idyllic retreat for those seeking tranquility and rejuvenation.
With its easy accessibility, ample parking, and wheelchair ramps, the beach provides a seamless and inclusive experience for all visitors. Whether strolling along the boardwalk or basking in the sun-kissed shores, Rehoboth Beach offers a delightful escape that’s sure to captivate and soothe the senses.
With its calm and pristine waters that gently brush against the sandy shores, Bethany Beach emerges as a cherished haven for those seeking the perfect spot to swim, bask, or leisurely float in the serenity of the ocean.
Moreover, this delightful coastal town boasts an array of charming shops and exquisite restaurants, inviting visitors to embark on a delightful afternoon stroll, soaking in the vibrant atmosphere and culinary delights that await at every corner.
Cape Henlopen State Park
For those seeking a truly immersive and rugged beach experience, look no further than Cape Henlopen State Park. Nestled along the stunning coastline, this hidden gem offers breathtaking vistas and a plethora of exciting activities.
Stroll along the enchanting nature trails, where you’ll be greeted by chirping birds and gently rustling leaves. Cape Henlopen is also a paradise of immense species of birds, making it ideal for birdwatching enthusiasts.
And don’t forget to explore the historic military bunkers that stand as a testament to the park’s rich heritage. With every visit, there’s always something new and captivating to discover at Cape Henlopen State Park, making it the perfect choice for those craving an unforgettable adventure.
Fenwick Island State Park
This serene and secluded beach is a true hidden gem, specifically catering to the needs of older adults. With fewer crowds to contend with, Fenwick Island State Park offers a peaceful atmosphere for those looking to unwind and relax in the soothing embrace of the ocean.
Indulge in a leisurely beach walk, taking in the stunning views of pristine sands and crystal-clear waters. Or soak up some sun as you sink into your beach chair and lose yourself in a captivating novel. For those seeking a bit more adventure, the park also offers kayaking and fishing, providing an exciting change of pace.
Tips for Seniors Visiting Delaware Beaches
When planning a trip to one of Delaware’s beautiful beaches, there are a few things seniors should keep in mind to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience:
- Use sunscreen: Protect your skin from harmful UV rays by applying sunscreen before heading to the beach. Reapply every 2 hours or earlier, especially if you’ve been in the water.
- Bring necessary accommodations: If you have mobility issues, consider renting a beach wheelchair to make navigating the sand easier. Also, don’t forget to bring any necessary medications or medical supplies.
- Take advantage of senior discounts: Many attractions and restaurants in Delaware offer discounts for those over 65, so be sure to ask before making purchases.
- Plan for breaks: Spending a whole day at the beach may be too much for some. Plan for breaks throughout the day to rest and recharge.
- Be mindful of rip currents: Delaware beaches are known for strong rip currents, so always pay attention to the lifeguards’ warnings and only swim in designated areas.
- Attend events and activities geared towards seniors: Many Delaware beaches offer events and activities specifically for seniors, such as beach yoga or water aerobics. Take advantage of these opportunities to stay active and socialize.
- Stay informed about weather conditions: Before heading out to the beach, check the weather forecast and be aware of any potential storms or extreme heat advisories. It’s always better to err on the side of caution and reschedule your beach day if necessary.
- Bring proper equipment: If you plan to participate in water activities such as kayaking or paddleboarding, bring the necessary safety equipment and always wear a life jacket.
- Practice sun safety: Bring hats, sunglasses, and protective clothing to shield yourself from the sun’s rays, in addition to wearing sunscreen.
- Stay hydrated: Older adults are more prone to dehydration, so drink plenty of water throughout the day. Consider bringing a reusable water bottle and refilling it at designated water stations on the beach.
Enjoy the Best Beaches in Delaware
Delaware beaches offer a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the ocean and the fresh air. With the Lodge at Historic Lewes, you can easily access the best beaches in Delaware and take advantage of the amenities available. From the beautiful views to the accessibility of the beaches, enjoy a relaxing and meaningful experience. So, come and explore the best Delaware beaches with The Lodge at Historic Lewes and make lasting memories. Contact us today to learn more about our accommodations and beach access.